Monday, June 4, 2012

My First Experience with Chemotheraphy Dacarbazine

I arrived in the National Cancer Centre, JPMC at 8 15 am and seeing the doctor before starting my chemotheraphy. I am the fourth patient on the list . The Nurses is aware that my weight had been dropping far and asked about my appetite, I am happy because they are alert of it. Not just taking Blood pressure and weight every of my visit to the Oncology Department. Then, while waiting, I was ask to select the menu that i can eat for thebreakfast and as a Chinese patient, off vourse i choose the chicken porridge with soya sauce and slice of onion leaf.


In the Daycare oncology unit, the Nurse there is very good and friendly, i can said .. they are brilliant and very careful. I was introduced to my personal nurse and  was given a good orientation of the place. And i was being told and explained about all the medications and course of the treatment. This is the real Nursing Care to the patient. I said that because I am also a Nurse and i had encountered many 'lazy' or 'working just to take salary' Nurses every where i go. This kind of care is really skillful and care for the patient. Thump UP the Daycare Nurse.

While I was on treatment, they do Cannulation and they managed to do only 1 (one) time. Before starting the treatment, even when do the flushing, i had already vomiting (2x) small amount. Then the nurse gave me the Pre-medication and after 30 minutes, they start the Dacarbazine IV. After that, I was less Nauseated but I asked the nurse to prepare the kidney dish ready just in case i re-vomiting again. But Well-done, i feels only on and off Nauseated but NO vomiting. What i experienced with Dacarbazine, is moderate to severe pain on the IV site. It make me weak and painful is the main complaint. Very-very lucky, the nurse offered and gave me hot compression which i found it is very helpful and did reduce my pain.

After 40 mins to 1 hour interval, I feels very unwell and I sweating and my vision went blurred and i feels very dizziness. Then i closed my eyes to rest and few minutes i regained my energy again. Then 1 nurse came to me and realised that my Blood pressure (BP) was dropping to : 70/38 .. and then they check manually which was around 86/48 and they informed the doctor. After few minutes, the doctor came to review me and observed my BP for a while and stay in the unit. He also asked me many questions and he ordered to do ECG on me. I can said... both the doctors and nurse is brilliant there.

Then, after my BP drop, they stopped it  for a while and put on normal saline only in faster rate to raise teh blood pressure but it it really unstable. Until 30 minutes later, my BP better and I restart the Dacarbazine back. That time, i was active talking to my Nurse in charge and the student nurse. My BP went up to around 130/80.. and then I finished my treatment. Well done..... to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...